Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Next Step

What another great weekend it was.  I celebrated birthday's, spent time with girlfriends and even managed a camping trip. 

I also got the chance to attend the first annual International Art in Response to Violence Conference at Eastern Illinois University.  I got an amazing opportunity to hear Nataka Moore, PsyD, discuss some of the differences between the progression of Hip-Hop in Chicago and New York.  She noted the artistry behind Hip-Hop, specifically Graffiti Art, Break Dancing and Rap.  Really a thoughtful and powerful presentation.

During the question-and-answer portion of the presentation, I was inspired to stand and share that I believed that anyone could assist with "at-risk-communities" by offering their passions and resources.  I also shared that I was committed to bringing artists, and travel-lovers to share themselves with The Johnson School of Excellence Middle School.  From that, several people requested to assist in the  development of this project.  I look forward to things coming together with the resources and invested assistance of those who I may not even know yet!

There were many highlights to the Art in Response to Violence Conference and I look forward to hosting Somjit Krzaisri, Head Art Therapist of Rajakanul Institute in Bangkok, Thailand at Easter Seals Therapeutic School and Center for Autism Research this Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment