Thursday, September 30, 2010

Declaring Us a Community

Alright ~ I'm back.

This past week has been a whirlwind.  Summer's exit and fall's entrance puts me in a fresh state of mind and I realize I am really looking forward to the air turning crisp, bright yellow leaves and the smell of the Earth shifting focus. 

I am shifting focus as well and creating the opportunity to consider the greater community in this new season.  On August 29th, 2010 student Darrell McKinney (DJ) was caught in the crossfire of a gang-shooting and he was killed.  It is my assumption that anyone reading this has heard of students being shot and that this is not new. 

This particular student was in my sister's first classroom in the Chicago Public School (CPS) District.  I had met him, gotten to know him, and even helped grade some of his papers.  My sister had spoke highly of him, as well his mother's commitment to keeping him safe and academically prepared.  Sadly, when I went to research details of his death, the keyword search "CPS Student Killed" was too broad and returned several results not directly connected to DJ's murder yet all tragic. 

It did take these "hits-close-to-home" details for me to really be inspired into action and I am passing it on.  I am creating a project that will provide a space for CPS students to become inspired, and to start considering their life and future as one they have control over. 

I look forward to inviting my friends in the art community, and those who love to travel, to come and share about themselves to students that may not have the luxury to be around people who are really living a life they have created and love.  More information about how I, and others, plan to pull this off is to come.  I definitely look forward to creating this project with the community and look forward to any feedback as it takes form!

Thanks again for considering me a part of your day and I have a few updates:  The screening of the film "Who Does She Think She Is?" has been postponed until a later date to be announced. The Illinois Art Therapy Assocation will host an event at the Fulton Street Art Collective on October 15th.  Please email for more info.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a major fan of your blog! Write to inspire. Keep up the great work you beautiful black woman!
    Love,
    TheVann

    ReplyDelete