Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Weekend Bliss

After some amazing conversations with family and friends I have found that in sharing various inspirations I totally become open to various possibilities through contribution. Now is the perfect time for me to share the origins of my travel obsession, as well as offer a new possibility for inspiring travel in others.

Growing up I can attribute my love of travel to Geography and Cultural-Awareness courses I took as electives.  In high school I was introduced to abroad programs and hosted a foreign exchange student from Sweden.  In college I was given the opportunity to travel abroad myself to London, and later Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic.  I am now realizing how essential these experiences were for me to stay open to learning from people, as well as cultures who may, at first glance, appear "different" than my own. 

As weeks go on - I am dedicated to the possibility of creating travel for myself, as well as inspiring others to the idea of "The World" as a tangible goal.  I will continue to share my thoughts, personal inspirations and journey as this project takes form.  Celebrating culture, diversity and learning about similarities through difference continues to be my goal. 

I received my sketchbook in the mail and will start my topic "You'd Be Home by Now ..." through the Sketchbook Project 2011 which will exhibit through the United States beginning Spring of 2011.  Furthermore I have joined the Illinois Art Therapy Association Board as the Programs Co-Chair.  In October we plan on screening the film "Who Does She Think She Is?" by award-winning Filmmaker Pamela T Boll.  I have also joined the non-for-profit organization Do Your P'Art as a Board Member.  This month begins another year of their mission "to bring children together from various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds through artistic collaborations".  

Thanks for checking in and more updates on the progress of the above projects are to come next Tuesday!  Anyone interested in more details concerning these projects, as well as info on how to get involved please email me directly at wheelerink@gmail.com or visit maiawheeler.com

MMW   

No comments:

Post a Comment